Celebrity makeup artist Nam Vo is the queen of glowy makeup, and she’s sharing all her secrets on this episode. She talks about how she got her start working as a makeup artist for a strip club and the products and steps she uses to create beautiful highlighted skin (she calls it “glow porn”). Before that, we talk about travel beauty tips and how to cure butt “acne.” (Hint: It’s not acne.)
Below are links to the people, topics, and products mentioned in this episode. If you have any questions (or just want to say hi) reach out to us on Instagram, Twitter or via email (email@example.com).
Jess’s Quick Tips for Travel:
1. Cleansing balms > cleansers - Jess is currently using the Naturopathica Manuka Honey Cleansing Balm
2. Minis! Minis! Minis!
3. Gentle skincare products only, no actives!
4. Always bring your own shampoo and conditioner
5. Disposable razors are a big NO - Jess brings her Billie razor when traveling
6. And, never forget gas medicine (because, well, you never know!) - Jess likes Beano or Chewable Gas-X
Jenn’s Quick Tips for Travel:
1. Stay hydrated - Jenn’s on-the-go water bottle: Nalgene Tritan 32oz Wide Mouth BPA-Free Water Bottle
2. Decanting your holy-grail products > travel sizes of new stuff - Try the Wedama Leakproof Silicone Travel Containers (The Sephora kit Jenn uses is discontinued, but this is a great alternative!)
3. Pack multi-use palettes/products for your makeup:
- Charlotte Tilbury Instant Look in a Palette (currently sold out - WHY?!? Charlotte, please make more!)
- Laura Mercier multi-stick face color - Jenn said Laura Mercier, but she meant Trish McEvoy (don’t you guys get those brands mixed up, too?). The product she has been using is called Trish McEvoy Beauty Booster in Plum, which is actually more of a deep rose.
- NEW! Physicians Formula is launching an amazing all-organic line at Walmart at the end of August. When it comes out, you must try it! The Tinted Lip Balm (comimg soon) is especially
HitchSwitch - name change made easy
dermatologist Rupa Reddy - Jenn’s friend
folliculitis - think you have butt acne? It might be this.
keratosis pilaris - Or…it could be this!
Hibiclens Antimicrobial/Antiseptic Skin Cleanser - anti-bacterial surgical wash that Jenn has been using on her butt
dermatologist Dr. Dendy Engelman
Dr. Dendy’s episode of Fat Mascara
Dr. Fusco’s episode of Fat Mascara
If you’re not sure what’s on your butt, try a wash with salicylic acid, like Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Fighting Facial Cleanser with Salicylic Acid
Eucerin Roughness Relief Lotion - can help with keratosis pilaris
Van Leeuwen Ice Cream - Nam’s favorite flavor is strawberry
R.I.P. Boo the Pomeranian
Chanel Le Vernis Longwear Nail Color in 504 Organdi
Joe Shanghai - Nam’s fave place for classic, old-school dumplings
RedFarm - for modern style dumplings
Sol de Janeiro Brazilian Bum Bum Cream
Huda Beauty N.Y.M.P.H. Not Your Mama’s Panty Hose All Over Body Highlighter - Nam’s secret concoction is Sol de Janeiro + two pumps of the Huda highlighter
Burt's Bees Radiance Body Lotion - the exotic dancer’s secret weapon—who knew?!
Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder Glow
Beauty Blender Blotterazzi
Fresh Vitamin Nectar Antioxidant Face Mist
SK-II Facial Treatment Essence
ReFa Carat Face Roller - Nam’s last step to prep the skin before applying any makeup
Jade Roller and Gua Sha Set for Beautiful Skin Detox
MAC Studio Fix Foundation
Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed Highlighter in Champagne Pop
Chanel Baume Essential
Ciate London Dewy Stix
Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze & Glow Contour Duo
Becca Glow Silk Highlighter Drops in Champagne Pop - Nam’s currently obsessing over this!
Kevyn Aucoin Glass Glow Face Liquid Highlighter
Mario’s episode of Fat Mascara